St George’s Church 50th Anniversary Rededication
When the newly-built Church was dedicated on Ascension Day, 1963, the 96th were Senior Entry and so provided the Colour Party and performed the usual ceremonial duties. The 96th Entry also took the collection which amounted to £72 8s 1d. This equates to £1218.56 in today’s money. The Entry were back at St George’s in the following July where they were the first Entry to have their Graduation Service held in the new building.
It was therefore fitting that on 19th May 2013, when a special Service commemorated the 50th Anniversary of the Dedication, the 96th Entry should have a presence. And they did indeed have a presence: 11 Entry members, with 6 wives, joined the congregation. It was especially fitting that the Colour Bearer of 1963, S/A/A Jim Duff, joined us, having made the journey from Scotland specifically to attend the event.
The 96th Entry Window at St George’s depicts our involvement in those far off days and shows the Colour Party against a background of the Window as it was in 1963, before the addition of the stained glass windows. With such a history, it is inevitable that the Entry feels an especial affinity with St George’s Church and this was the feeling that was in evidence throughout the day, the organisation of which could not be faulted.
Left to Right are: Dave and Jill Mawdsley, Tony Robson, Gordon and Anne Sherratt, John and Pat Crawford, Merv and Pat Kelly, Dave Murray, Jim Duff, Alf Burton, Jill and Graham Castle, Gerry Law, Sharon and Colin Woodland.